Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mosquito Madness


I was at work, sitting at my desk when this little bugger flew in front of my face. Yes, the past few days here have been unseasonably warm, but being buzzed by a mosquito in January in Maine is rather unsettling. You expect it between May and October, but not this time of year.
Could it have hatched in the damp basement at the office? Maybe. But I don't remember any mosquitos drifting up from the dank, dark cellar last winter. Or any of the other 8 or 9 winters I've worked in the same building.
Here's what I have just found at Accuweather.com: yesterday the high in Ellsworth was 42 degrees F, about 12 degrees higher than the normal high. The day before that, 48 degrees, which was about 19 points higher than normal. The day before that: 51 degrees, or 24 points higher than normal. None of these is a record high, but it's hard not to notice when the snow is seriously melting away, all the ice in the roof gutter disappears and you can spend several minutes outside comfortably in your shirtsleeves. It is in January, anyway.
Okay, so I'm not going to make any claims that this proves or even suggests anything. I'm not a scientist and I know better than to make claims I can't back up - yes, even on the Internet. I'm just saying, I hope this doesn't start happening every January. In my mind, having lots of snow on the ground and no bugs in the air for a few months each year is not such a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment